Thursday, July 11, 2013

Getting enough sleep


“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep.”  

~Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers


I saw this on the Brave Writer blog and seeing as how I was just about to head to bed, it seemed appropriate and true.  Although I do love to stay up later (and sleep in...), I do think it's probably better for my health and state of mind to get to bed at a reasonable hour.  During the summer I can get away with the late nights, but during the school year it can hijack an entire day's productivity if mom wakes up late and is sluggish all day.

AND, you may have seen this article that's been going around.  It discusses the importance of regular bedtimes for young children, and the impact this has on brain development.  While I started out my mothering journey being extremely flexible, as the years have gone on I've found that having the kids in bed at a reasonable hour is really helpful.  It's good to be able to go Off Duty at some point before I have to go to bed, and it's nice to have time alone with my husband.  On days when my husband works, after-the-kids-go-to-bed is when I do a lot of my business work too.  Even if the kids are older, it can be really nice for them to have some quiet time to unwind by reading or listening to an audio book or some quiet music in their bed, rather than being bombarded with lots of stimulating computer/electronics/media right up until bed time.  For this coming school year I'll probably have my kiddos ages 10-13 into bed by 9pm.  I'll have to talk to my older teens about this and see what they might think is reasonable for their schedule.  (I know that in a large family, the older kids often cherish the quiet, slow pace of late night just as much as the parents do...)

What time do your kiddos go to bed?  How old are they?  What time do you go to bed?  What works best at your house?

No comments: